Roadway Improvement Projects
Lotus Environmental Consulting is providing environmental services on a number of roadway improvement projects throughout Pennsylvania for various transportation agencies such as PennDOT and the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission. The projects include intersection widenings, roadway relocations, roadway widening and reconstruction, drainage improvements, etc.
A few of our roadway projects include the following:
Milepost #57-67 Restoration Project, Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission
This project consists of the total reconstruction of the mainline Pennsylvania Turnpike (I-76) from the Pittsburgh Interchange #57 (Milepost T57) to the Irwin Interchange #67 (Milepost T67), including the replacement and/or elimination of mainline and overhead structures and related side road modifications. The project study area is 10 miles long and 500 feet wide centered on the centerline of the existing I-76 toll road.
Specific tasks include the following:
• Wetland Delineation, Functional Assessment, and Permitting for 45 individual wetland areas
• Aquatic Resources: 77 individual streams and over 5400 LF of stream reaches, EPA Rapid BioAssessment Analysis
• Wildlife Habitat/Threatened & Endangered Species – Snow Trillium and Indiana Bat
• Agricultural Resource and Land Use Assessment and Mapping
• Impact Tracking and Permit Assistance
S.R. 61 and Tuckerton Road Intersection Improvement Project, Muhlenberg Township, Berks County, PA.
PennDOT District 5-0
Lotus Environmental Consulting, as a subconsultant on the project, was responsible for the overall environmental clearance activities for the S.R. 61 (Pottsville Pike) and Tuckerton Road intersection improvements. Lotus conducted an environmental analysis on a number of traffic and highway design alternatives analysis for the improvements of Pottsville Pike (S.R. 61) at its intersection with Tuckerton Road (T‐547).
The purpose of the project was to improve the capacity and operational efficiency of the intersection and access to and from the US Route 222 interchange at the northern limits on Pottsville Pike (S.R. 61).
We were also responsible for completing the following tasks:
- CEE Document preparation
- Conducting Alternatives Analysis
- Noise and Hazardous Waste investigations/coordination
- Public Meeting/involvement assistance
S.R. 309 Schuylkill Restoration Project, Schuylkill County, PA
PennDOT District 5-0
The project involved the field investigations and documentation necessary to obtain NEPA clearance and PADEP permits for the highway restorations along SR 309 from Ye Olde Dam Road to the Carbon County line in Schuylkill County, PA. A few of our other responsibilities included:
- Wetland Surveys/Wetland Identification Report
- Bog Turtle Habitat Survey Report
- Phase I Environmental Site Assessment
- CEE Document